Thursday, November 15, 2012

Every Streak Must Die Sometime...

Guy and gals, I have an announcement. It is not a sad announcement, so don't be sad.  But it is this: Nanowrimo is over for me this year.  And while normally, that would be a "hooray" sort of moment, it is slightly less so this year.  See, I've just decided to abandon the quest for now.  Or at the very least to suspend it until another month.

Well, I still plan to write.  I enjoy short stories and backgrounds and the like, and I was already trying to do more of that more often.  But I have a lot of things going on in my life right now, and I just can't balance out the time I need to get it done.  What's the point of reaching the goal if it is literally sapping my joy of writing from me?

And I do still love writing.  I have some script stuff I want to work on. Several projects, actually, and things that I simply cannot wait to get up and moving.  But I've had to basically suspend that effort for the month, because I can't work on those while trying to write novella. 

And yeah, I just haven't been feeling it. I liked some of the stuff I was writing, but the effort to beef it up was just taking too much of a toll. It was more of an obligation than any kind of fun. And I need some fun in my life.  Not "satisfaction of getting the job done" fun, but some "haha fun fun 'til my eyes bleed" fun.  Well, some type of fun other than the first one.

But I will still be here.  I will still write some this month and end with a final word count.  I may even just set a smaller goal and shoot for it instead.  And as always, I am more than willing to encourage others that are still working to wards the big goal.  So don't think of it as going away forever.  Think of it as Cal Ripken taking the night off.  I'm still here.  It's still groovy.  And more than anything, I'm quite content with my decision.