Monday, September 10, 2012

Why I stopped Spreading Joy (Sorta).



Happy Birthday.

I admit that it's not a difficult thing to say.  Heck, typing it doesn't take much effort, either.  And you can pretty much program an app or two (or seven probably) to wish your friends a good one on their special day.  So why then did I abandon the practice of wishing my friends a happy birthday on Facebook?

Well, that's a good question.  The answer is just a little complicated, but not really so.

First, it's not for lack of noticing.  It's fairly impossible to be part of a social networking environment and not see that someone's special day is happening.  Either the system tells you its their birthday, you see someone (possibly the birthday boy/girl in question) mentioning it themselves, or some combination of the two.  So it's never as simple as "I didn't know".

And as anti-social as I can be at times, I am not opposed to giving people greetings.  People that know me know that I will, at times, go above and beyond to send heartfelt sentiments their way.  And therein lies the problem.

See, way back when, I really liked wishing people a happy birthday.  It was fun for me to come up with some little wish or comment to put onto their wall.  But I'm a prideful person.  It’s important to me that I actually exert the effort to be sincere and heartfelt.  I want each person I give a greeting to feel like it was something unique and personal to them.

And honestly, I just haven’t had the time.  It worked just fine when my friends list was just over a hundred.  But now that it’s several times that number, I see that it’s someone’s birthday almost every day.  Sometimes multiple people.  And I’m not online 24/7 (and have no desire to be), so all it would take is a lapse or two and I’d have forgotten someone.

I’ve thought about alternate solutions to the problem.  I considered only sending well wishes to people I was pretty close to, but I didn’t want to have to go through the grueling process of evaluating my friends to see who would be “worthy” of my time versus who wouldn’t.  Likewise, I didn’t want anyone to feel slighted just because I didn’t get around to them while I was mulling over whether I would get around to them.

So I took the rather draconian approach of not sending birthday wishes to anyone.  Save my girlfriend Danielle, which we can all agree is a wonderfully appropriate and loving thing to do.  I’d rather just spare myself the drama, even if it comes at the expense of doing something I genuinely used to love.

So if your birthday happens to roll around, and in sorting through your messages you find mine absent, please: don’t think too much ill of it.  I’m honestly happy that you’re a year older.  I just didn’t get around to saying it, is all.  Which, believe me, is sadder for me than it is for you.