Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Of Mice and Men (and Replacement Referees...)

Oh, look.  It's the news.  I promised not to watch too much of you, because you make me so very angry sometimes.  But I'll check you out and-hey, what's this now?  What are people making such a big hooplah over?  Oh.  Football.  Really?

So what I'm gleaning from the stories I'm seeing is that sometime late last night, the greatest tragedy  in the history of professional sports occurred.  People are talking asterisks and malfeasance and pitchforks and boiling lead and other, less reasonable things like actually getting the officials that are on strike back to work so that these types of missed calls don't happen anymore.

Yeah.  Right.

Now by no means am I saying that it's a good thing for refs to get a call wrong (replacement or otherwise).  But I will say the same thing I have for years on the subject of a referee "robbing" a team in the last seconds of the fourth quarter: if you're ahead by the margin that you should be at that point, then you can't have anything taken from you.

In short: don't want to lose?  Be up by 10 points.  Boosh.

Now, if you want to argue that officiating during the game kept you from being up by said 10 points...  well then you may have a stronger argument.  But I will probably then play the card I like to call "It's a motherlovin' game!  It's football!  Don't you have more important things to worry about?  (And yes, Wisconsin, I'm aware that you don't think that you do for 48-72 hours a week, but I assure that you do.)

I get that football is a part of our American heritage.  But no matter what strange injustices might occur, we have to embrace the fact that they just aren't really that big of a deal.

But anyone can feel free to point out that I said this a few months from now, sometime shortly after I scream the sentence, "How?!  How could this have happened, Atlanta?!  You were 3-0!  This is the worst tragedy in the history of America...!"

That's only fair.