Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blast from the Past... ish.

Okay, so I've dropped the ball when it comes to Flashback Fridays.  Or Heavy Nostalgia Thursdays.  Or whatever the heck I was calling these little trips down memory lane to shows I remember from my younger days.  But in my defense, I've dropped the ball in so many other places when it comes to this blog.

Not exactly an award winning mea culpa, I know.

Anywho, I wanted to take a moment to talk about this particular show, which was notorious for being memorable in one exact way.  I speak of course, of Hi, Honey I'm Home!, a short lived sitcom of the early nineties with a relatively straightforward premise.

Hi Honey I'm Home (logo).jpg

The show was based around the misadventures of the Nielsen family (as mentioned, the show rarely beat around the bush with its references).  The Nielsens, after being canceled from their network TV show, enter a sitcom relocation program.  No, seriously.  That's exactly what happens.

Now stuck in the "real world", the family has to try to fit in and not blow their secret identities as a TV family while hoping for a possible revival of their show on the network.  In most respects, the show was a one trick pony, relying on every "fish out of water" bit it could muster in a half hour.  Not that I always mind that.  After all, I did manage to sit through season upon season of Small Wonder.

But as I said, the show had a memorable facet or two.  Firstly, the show featured a small army of guest cameos from famous sitcom stars of the past.  It was effectively a classic sitcom reunion tour, and as such gave people an opportunity to see old TV favorites one more time.

Second, the show featured what they referred to as an Instant Rerun.  The show would air on Friday night on ABC, then a repeat of the show would air on Nickelodeon the following Sunday night.  When the show was eventually (and quickly) canceled on ABC, Nickelodeon took up the reins and aired the remainder of the new episodes on its network.  Granted, this sort of thing has become incredibly commonplace in the modern day environment of eight thousand channels and obvious media monopolies.  But at the time, it was considered a pretty innovative step.

But the last thing (and to me, the most notable item) of significance was the theme song.  It was catchy as all get out.  No lie, when I was trying to remember the name of this show, I kept drawing a blank.  And then finally, I got the theme song's end floating in my head.  And of course, at the end of the song is the title of the show.

 I dare you not to get this stuck in your head. Dare you...

So thank some random song writer somewhere for making a tune so catchy that it made me remember a fairly forgettable show from the 90's.  Remember kids, not every single show on TGIF was a bonafide, out of the ball park hit.



(P.S. I know a few people might have also noted the presence of a young Julie Benz in this series as notable.  I like her, and I'd totally forgotten she was in this show, but I don't see it as being anything overly significant.)